Law Offices of Arlene Bell
Special Education Law
How I Help Children with Special Needs and Their Families:
Does your child have special needs but you don’t think he or she is getting the right kind of help in school?
With support, you can successfully utilize the due process system to obtain an appropriate education for your child.
You’re in the right place if you:
- Have been told your child has special needs
- Your child is struggling in school and you don’t feel the school district is providing enough of the right kind of help
- You are not sure that the school district has evaluated your child accurately
- You disagree with the school placement or services the school district is providing to your child
- You have been confused, frustrated or disappointed at IEP meetings
Understanding special education laws and rules can be daunting for parents. You are faced with IEP teams that outnumber you. An IEP document is given to you with unfamiliar terms and many unknown acronyms such as FAPE, LRE, RSP. No one prepared you to understand special education law when you became a parent.
That is why you need an attorney who is knowledgeable about educating children with special needs. Unlike many special education attorneys, I have been a special education teacher and have worked directly with children with special needs myself. I have seen many children who feel very poorly about themselves because they cannot read or are unable to control impulsively shouting out in class. I have also witnessed children who love school because they have a teacher who provides a reading program whereby the child sees his success, or where there is a structured positive behavior program so that the child is not the “bad” child in class.
Parents are often embarrassed to talk about their children’s difficulties. It is important to be open and honest with the IEP team and ask for help. The school staff may not be aware of some of your child’s special needs and you must keep them informed.
I am able to assist parents to communicate with school staff and to advocate for their child. Together we can advocate changing decisions made at IEP meetings in order to obtain what your child needs.
I provide the following services to parents:
- Consult with you to clarify the problems your child is experiencing;
- Review records to determine progress, or lack of progress, in academic and non-academic areas;
- Advocate for you at IEP meetings to get the placement and services you know are needed for your child;
- Represent you at mediations and due process hearings after disagreeing with an IEP in order to successfully obtain appropriate assessments, goals, school placements and services such as occupational therapy or speech therapy for your child.
Contact me for help to get the appropriate specialized instruction and placement for your child. I understand the battles parents are encountering and provide them with legal expertise as well as support. My clients know they can depend on me for legal assistance and know that I will advocate zealously. If you need a special education attorney to get results for your child, call me as soon as you are aware of difficulties.
See what clients have written to me:
“Thank you for being such an effective representative for our son. We really owe so much of his progress to your advocacy and heartfelt activism.” S.S., Los Angeles
“Thank you Arlene for all the hard work that you do. You’re the angel that talks for the ones that cannot talk. Thank you for defending us, you’re the best.” M.W., Oxnard
“You’ve been a blessing to our family. Many thanks for the great work you do for the children who need help the most.” C.S., Los Angeles
“Thank you so much for your expertise and advocacy over the years. You’ve helped us so much-our success in dealing with the school district wouldn’t have happened without you.”
C.S., Los Angeles
“We will be forever grateful to you, not only for your skill and expertise, but for the humanity you brought to our situation. We wholeheartedly thank you.” C. R., Los Angeles
“We thank God for you…you are a God send to our family. May he richly bless you.”
Law Offices of Arlene Bell
1158 26th Street #269
Santa Monica, CA 90403
(Additional offices in Granada Hills and Rancho Cucamonga)
Phone: (310) 829-2029