Licensed Educational Psychologist (LEP)
CA BBS License #3167
How I Help Families:
When students are struggling in school, parents and children may feel harshly judged. In my counseling practice, it is my goal with every client that they feel 100% supported and accepted when working with me. I like to work in a goal-oriented fashion that allows my clients to become self-sufficient and no longer feel they need regular counseling. When appropriate, parents of children and adolescent students are also encouraged to participate and collaborate in order to build a network of support that promotes lasting change.
Services I Provide:
As a licensed educational psychologist I provide counseling and assessment services in order to help students overcome whatever emotional, behavioral, or learning impediments may be standing in the way of their ultimate success at school. Many clients seek out my services to address concerns over:
- Low motivation and underachievement
- Identifying and committing to long-term future goals
- Staying on-task and developing time management skills
- Anxiety related to school
- Social and relationship difficulties
- Self-destructive behavior
In my assessment practice, I use a variety of diagnostic tools designed to answer the following questions:
- What is impeding the student from being successful?
- Why is this difficulty happening?
- What steps need to be taken to help the student eliminate or reduce the impact of the impediment and reach his/her full potential?
Assessments can be used to identify:
- Learning Disabilities including Reading (Dyslexia), Writing (Dysgraphia), Math (Dyscalculia), and Expressive and Receptive Language disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism or Asperger’s
Other areas identified could include:
- Gifted students
- Learning profiles in order to highlight which instructional methods are most and least effective with the child
- Need for accommodations for SAT, ACT, AP and graduate school exams
Through testing, interviews, behavior observations, and a review of academic and other pertinent records, I develop a thorough assessment of the student’s strengths and areas of need. With each assessment, I provide a verbal explanation and a written report of the assessment findings. Included in the assessment are treatment recommendations, including suggestions for educational planning and remediation strategies.
I have worked in education as a teacher, school psychologist, and private practitioner for the past ten years with students of all developmental levels. I have a passion for helping students meet their full potential. I believe that the ultimate goal when working with students is to empower them to function as independently as possible. My experience has shown me that when educators, parents, and service providers work together positive change is more likely for students.